Life Coaching Tips to Avoid Arguments
If you notice getting into an argument/ yelling match and it feels all too familiar, here are a few steps to help shift the dynamic:
- Change your posture. Chances are if you’re in an argument your face is scrunched, brow furrowed, and holding your breath. Take a moment to change your posture- stretch your arms out and back, expose your chest some, stretch side to side, roll your neck
- Breath deeply. Blow all your air out and hold it. Take a full breath in
- Notice if you are defensive. Are you looking to explain why you are right and they are wrong? If yes, admit you are there and know that most likely from this place you know how it plays out. Stop if you are defensive.
- Ask yourself if you can see this person as your ally.
- If not, take a break. To paraphrase Einstein, a problem can’t be solved in the same mindset it was created in. Do not expect to solve it if you don’ t shift your mindset that started the argument.
This is of course just a few options with short explanations. There is certainly more exploration to this and it is a start.
Cheers to more life and connection in your relationship. With life coaching we can work on any relationships and tips for your life. Contact me for more details.